Monday, September 8, 2008

More Stuff That I've Made

Our youngest grandson just turned a year old, and I wanted to give him something that I think every little kid needs...a little red rocking chair. I found an unfinished one at a local furniture store (ON SALE!) and gave it a few coats of bright red paint. I was planning to paint his name and some kind of cute design on the back, but then I thought, "I want to do something DIFFERENT!"


So, I went out to my arts and crafts and sewing shed, and made these little padded sleeves for the back of his chair. I used my embroidery machine to embroider his "name train" on one and left the other one plain. Here is a close-up.




His mom, our teacher DiL, had her birthday a few days later, so I made this tote/purse for her. I was inspired by the cute totes at http://hello-refabulous.blogspot.com/ You should check it out; I think she is an amazing young woman. She has eight children, homeschools, and still manages to find time to create beautiful items! This is my first try at ever making a purse, but I think it came out pretty well. I had some wooden apple cutouts, so I drilled a couple of holes in one to turn it into a button and painted it. It's on the closure, which is backed with velcro.

Here's one of the inside pockets, and the lining coordinates with the school print on the outside.

In June, I had the opportunity to get together for a weekend with 6 of my online friends and the mother of one of them in Pigeon Forge, TN. We all chipped in and rented a big log cabin on the side of a mountain, and we had a blast! It was as if we have known each other all our lives!

I made a personalized drink huggy as a small gift for each one of them. They are really easy to make!


What do YOU like to do?

4 comments:

Nan said...

You are so talented. What a great idea on that little chair back. The tote is a great idea and I do love my drink cozy.
Hugs,
Nan

MsSippi, aka Peggy said...

Thank you, Nan! I'm glad you're back to posting, cuz I just LOVE seeing your stuff! I really liked that cracked pot story, since it fits me so well! LOL!

nikkicrumpet said...

WOW...that is amazing....It looks like it would be so difficult and take forever! I think the sleeves on the chair were a brilliant idea. It takes a simple rocking chair and turns it into art. How very cool!

refabulous said...

Fantastic job on the tote (and chair and cozies!) Those totes are addictive, so watch out! Thanks for the sweet mention. :)