Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Working on those blue shoes!

I've started trying to clean those blue baby shoes of mine. It's going to take quite a bit more work to get them really clean...IF that's even possible. After all, they have been in their dirty state for over 50 years in a box in my mom's attic! By the way, my mom says they got so dirty because I was a floor-scooter at a very young age! It seems that I would roll off my pallet and scoot to wherever I wanted to go. I wore those shoes for quite some time, she said, because they were a little big when the picture was made, and my feet didn't really start growing much until I was older.

Here's the original picture.

Here they are, after the first round of cleaning with carpet cleaner and Scrubbing Bubbles.

Still dirty, but at least you can see the embroidery a little bit better! I was going to try soaking them in Woolite, but the stiffening in the soles is cardboard! Nope! Can't dunk them into anything wet! I just stuffed the end of a washcloth into the toe, sprayed carpet spot cleaner and Scrubbing Bubbles on them, and rubbed with a damp cloth.

By the way, Scrubbing Bubbles in the aerosol can is great for cleaning carpets! Before we traded our old camper in, I cleaned the carpet with Scrubbing Bubbles, and used an old towel soaked in Lemon Pinesol and hot water to scrub it. It looked brand new (and the black marks my husband tracked on the carpet disappeared!) when I finished, and the camper smelled wonderful, too! In fact, somebody bought the camper as soon as we traded it in!
Have a great evening!

5 comments:

SmilingSally said...

You're doing a good job. Maybe one more time will do it.

Anonymous said...

You were such a pretty baby. I am glad you are figuring out how to clean the shoes, they look alot better already! :0)

MsSippi, aka Peggy said...

Thank you! I hope I can get them to looking even better! And, Jenn, thank you for the compliment, but I'm wondering, "WHAT HAPPENED???!" LOL!

Cathy said...

Hey peggy.....I would have made you a bed just as good as the rest! You better come next time!

nikkicrumpet said...

I hope you're able to restore them to their former beauty...it looks like you're making great progress. Thanks for sharing the funny story about your dog and the fix-a-flat...it gave me a good chuckle!